I ordered this during Black Friday week and got it at a discounted price. I used it to replace a competitive video doorbell from a security company. The biggest weakness of the security company doorbell was the lack of a Wi-Fi chime and the cost to upload video clips per month. Therefore, I also picked up the Ring Chime to help provide some additional coverage space for the notification.
The product was easy to unpack. I like the fact that screws, a screw driver, and a USB cable were provided for recharging. I do recommend a pair of wire-strippers for wired doorbells – the leads on my doorbell were very short and were not long enough to wrap around the screw posts. If you are replacing a wired doorbell, the AC voltage provided by your doorbell transformer seems to “trickle charge” the built-in battery. I couldn’t find any specifications on how long the internal battery will last – which makes me wonder if a doorbell replacement will be necessary even with hardwired power at some point in the future.
For those of you with wired doorbells, I do recommend initially charging the doorbell first to 100% before you install it. The trickle charge is just that – don’t expect the wired doorbell transformer to charge it to 100% for you. It might – it’ll just take a long time.
– can install anywhere (can be powered by internal battery = no wiring required)
– wiring not required, optional
– rechargeable internal battery
– 4 colors to choose from
– sleek modern design
– water resistance
– wide angle lens (almost bird-eye view)
– 720 resolution and very clear during the day, a bit blue~ish at night
– easy access from smartphones via Ring Video app
– motion detection features (via zone and alert settings)
– fast notification (1 second instead of 5 seconds when i tested the defective one)
– cloud recording available for a fee ($3/month or $30/year)
– speaker is loud and clear not choppy anymore
– better packaging (paper box instead of plastic box wihtout much protection)
– includes manual & tools required for installation (leveler, screws, screw-drivers, drillbit, diode…etc)
– no owner initiate connection to camera feature
– sign-up required
– no local SD card nor support FTP recording
– does not support linking with local WiFi security system yet (BlueIris/z-wave)
Answer the Door From Anywhere
Get instant alerts when visitors press your Doorbell or trigger the built-in motion sensors. Then use the free Ring app to see, hear and speak to guests from your smartphone, tablet or PC.
- Motion-activated alerts
- Crystal-clear 720HD video
- Two-way talk with noise cancellation
Never Miss a Visitor
Ring lets you customize your motion sensors, so you’ll always be the first to know when you have a visitor.With infrared night vision and a weather-resistant design, you can monitor your home around the clock – day or night, rain or shine.
- Custom motion zones
- Infrared night vision
- Lifetime purchase protection
Home Security at Your Fingertips
Power your Video Doorbell with its built-in rechargeable battery, or connect it to your existing doorbell wiring for a non-stop charge. It also comes with everything you need to install your Doorbell in just a few minutes, with no professional help required.
- Dual power options
- Simple installation and setup
- iOS, Android, Mac and Windows 10 compatible